Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon. -Doug Larson
Bacon isn’t on this list but then again, neither are green vegetables. If you are heading to the Netherlands, then make sure you find at least a few of the items on this list and consume them with enjoyment.
- Poffertjes - Small, fluffy pancakes made with yeast and buckwheat flour. They have a light, spongy texture and are typically served with a lump of butter and then covered in powder sugar.
- Grolsch - A 5% pale lager often served in green bottles.
- Bastogne – A crunchy, almost oval shaped cookie with a caramelized sugar and cinnamon flavour.
- Vlaai – A pie made up of a flat dough bottom with raised edges and filled with fruit, rice and/or cream.
- Bossche Bol – A large ball of pastry, filled with whipped cream and coated in chocolate.
- Chocolate Letters – Chocolate shaped into different letters of the alphabet.
- Komijnekaas – A classic Dutch gouda-style cheese seasoned with cumin and caraway seeds.
- Rivella - A carbonated soft drink made from milk whey and herbs.
- Oliebollen – A type of dumpling or doughnut made by dropping dough into a deep fryer filled with hot oil. The dough is made from flour, eggs, yeast, salt, milk and baking powder. Oliebollen are usually served with powdered sugar.
- Broodje Mario – An Italian bread roll baked fresh and then filled with two types of salami, carrot pieces, a type of celery, cheese and peppers.
What would you add to the list?