In December 2007, while surfing the Internet, I came across a random 101 list. Firstly, from this 101 list I found out about a number of interesting ideas, websites and projects to take part in. Secondly, I learned all about the world of 101 in 1001.
Complete 101 pre-set tasks in a period of 1001 days. See Day Zero for more information.
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).
Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple goals such as New Year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
I never did find that 101 list again but I am glad that I stumbled across it as I have gained a lot from it. As have my many friends and family members that have gone on to create their own 101 in 1001.
1. Complete 101 list.
2. Learn Dutch well enough to pass the Dutch exams.
3. Complete my masters degree.
4. Complete the 50 Book Challenge.
5. Maintain a blog that people enjoy reading.
6. Complete Dream Director.
7. Make DVDs of my digital photos.
9. Take a last minute city break.
10. See an Einaudi concert in Rome.
11. Go on a horseback riding holiday.
12. Learn about wine tasting.
13. Take a hot-air balloon ride.
14. Take a walk in the rain.
15. Sleep under the stars.
16. Learn to play a song on the piano.
17. Organise the basement.
18. Finish the guest room.
19. Explore every region of Holland.
20. Send a message in a bottle.
21. Visit all 7 continents.
22. Learn to touch type (officially).
23. Swim with dolphins.
24. Fly a kite.
25. Milk a cow.
26. See a monkey in the wild.
27. Make a photo album for a loved one.
28. Send a handwritten letter each month for at least a year.
29. Pick apples.
30. Make space cake.
31. Visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
32. Invest in the stock market.
33. Complete a 1000 piece puzzle.
34. Sponsor a child.
35. Raise money for charity.
36. Overcome a fear.
37. Stay overnight in a haunted location.
38. Write a book.
39. Go into a library, randomly select a book and read it.
40. Start my own strange holiday.
41. Learn to solve a rubiks cube.
42. Complete the 26 Things Scavanger Hunt.
43. Participate in PostCrossing.
44. Add and update all my books in LibraryThing.
45. Learn my mobile phone number.
46. Pull off an April Fools Prank.
47. Give a homeless person an Xmas gift.
48. Buy a stranger something from their Amazon wishlist.
49. Find my signature dish.
50. Celebrate my half birthday.
51. See the Northern Lights (again).
52. Do up the balcony.
53. Build up to drinking eight glasses of water a day.
54. Purchase and take care of a plant for downstairs.
55. Learn how to knit.
56. Work on my Chinese brush painting.
57. Cycle once a week (at least).
58. Organize (and keep it that way) the house.
59. Take more pictures.
61. Complete scuba diving training.
62. Attend a Tony Robbins Seminar.
63. Organize I-tunes music.
64. Make use of my BlueMountain.com membership.
65. Get Christmas and birthday gifts organised early.
66. Turn off the lights when not using them.
67. Recycle as much as possible.
68. Buy fruit and veg from the local farm rather than in the shop.
69. Take an open learning course.
70. Makeover my commute.
71. Eat my lunch outside.
72. Resolve OU complaint.
73. Take vitamins/minerals every day for a month (hopefully by then it will be a habit).
74. Do a DIY mask/facial once a week.
75. Complete Moodgym.
76. Complete a community challenge.
77. Locate an old friend and keep in touch.
78. Buy the wine of the month for a year, learn about the wine and appreciate drinking it.
79. Visit Vinopolis.
80. Go to Euro Disney.
81. Take a trip with The Adventure Company.
82. Visit all the zoos in the Netherlands.
83. Get healthy.
84. Deal with all post the moment it comes through the door.
85. Keep a wine journal.
86. Enter a photo competition.
87. Visit a monastery.
88. Try a new restaurant in Rotterdam.
89. Try pottery.
90. Throw a dinner party.
91. Try archery.
92. Go cave diving.
93. Make an art sculpture.
94. Go to a concert.
95. Learn to use photoshop.
96. Go have a top notch haircut.
97. Make a ship in a bottle.
98. View a property that is way out of my price range.
99. Visit a candle factory.
100. Try to break a strange world record.
101. Try glass blowing.